Thursday 11 August 2011

GTL: Greed, Tragedy, Lust


           
        To me, the works of Shakespeare and “Jersey Shore” are no different. Millions adore them, and while I understand the appeal of both and the types of audiences they attract, I find neither to be entertaining. There are better ways for me to spend my time than watching Snooki rub up against a greased up guido or hearing Macbeth recite a soliloquy.
         For those of you who feel I haven’t been exposed to enough Shakespeare, I can assure you that I have. In high school, I read Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and King Lear. You might think that my lack of enthusiasm stems from being taught by bored teachers who didn’t bring Shakespeare’s words to life. While this might have been true at the time, I recently saw a production of All’s Well That Ends Well with my writing class at Shakespeare’s Globe Theater. If there was any way to see his vision fully realized on the stage, this was it. While I felt the acting was wonderful, I still have a problem with the source material. I admit that the dialogue can be off-putting at first, but that’s not what keeps me away from Shakespeare.
          I think my main problem with Shakespeare’s works is that I’ve never been able to become absorbed in the stories or characters. Like the cast of “Jersey Shore”, the characters in Shakespeare’s plays always seem to be complaining, hooking up, or backstabbing each other. Usually when I connect to the pathos of a work, it’s subtler. I enjoy it when character motives are ambiguous and leave room for interpretation. In Shakespeare, everyone is always explicitly telling the audience how they feel through soliloquies, much like the interviews in “Jersey Shore.” Additionally, the stakes in the plays are usually over-the-top and melodramatic. I’ve never found the storylines or the characters’ actions and emotions to be relatable.
        Whether you enjoy the “Jersey Shore” philosophy of GTL (Gym, Tan, Laundry) or Shakespeare’s GTL (Greed, Tragedy, Lust), I won’t judge you. I admit, sometimes it’s fun to watch wealthy white people backstab and lust after one another. But, in the end, neither Shakespeare nor “Jersey Shore” is for me. I like my entertainment a bit subtler and less greasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment