Saturday 13 August 2011

Pastiche



       As the tour guide at Syon Park Estate was burbling facts about monarchs and marble tables, I was wondering which toppings to get on my Papa John’s Two-for-Tuesday special. I was bored, and it was glaringly obvious. The tour was not what I was expecting. Before arriving to the estate, I had high hopes for the day. Syon House is a Victorian home built in the 16th century and currently belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. I wasn’t about to pass up the chance to spend a day inside a luxurious mansion surrounded by beautiful gardens. But, my expectations did not live up to reality. Instead of an elaborate mansion guarded by trees and flowers, the house is a plain beige cube in front of a flat sheet of grass.
        When our tour guide greeted us at the door, the dreary tone was set for the rest of the day. He was not particularly happy. We were a group of Americans who didn’t know a damn thing about Syon, and he clearly wanted nothing to do with us. I guess I can’t blame him too much. He had obviously spent a lot of time learning about the estate and was proud of his knowledge of history. I, however, did not share his passion for history. I was passionate about learning the variety of Two-for-Tuesday combinations.
          Throughout the tour, our guide prodded our intelligence by peppering in some American history. He probably thought we knew nothing about our nation’s history. Well, maybe he was on to something.
        “Surely you know who founded the Smithsonian.”
         We were silent. I could feel our guide bubbling with joy as he relished in his superior knowledge.
         Each time he mentioned an American historical fact, I felt as though I knew less about my own nation’s history.
        “John Quincy Adams was your sixth president, was he not?”
         Damned if I know. Sure, that sounds right, but I wouldn’t bet my life on it.
         I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, but I don’t have a strong grasp on American history when it comes to specifics such as names, dates, places, and facts. Being an American, I think it is safe to say that we don’t spend as much time reflecting on our history as the British do. To me, knowing whom the 9th or 12th president was is not a prerequisite to be an intelligent, well rounded person. Sure, it helps to be aware of your history, but I feel that in America, we’re constantly living in the moment. Since Britain has such a dense history, the British think of history in a different way. When you live down the street from a 17th century building, it’s hard not to think about the type of people who used to live there. What was their story? What was life like during that time? Back home in New Jersey, I live down the street from a Dunkin’ Donuts. Needless to say, I don’t think about it that much.
         Our guide explained that the carvings on the wall were made of plaster and wood, and the marble columns were only marble on the outside. The estate was “pastiche.” It featured a hodge-podge of different materials thrown together to form an imitation of more valuable things. In a lot of ways, I think American history is pastiche. Our nation was formed by different types of people who came together from many places. While it may mean that our history is not as “pure” as the British history that does not make it any less significant. Our pastiche history is a work of art in its own right. So what if I know more about Papa John’s than John Quincy Adams or the Smithsonian? To me, some aspects of our pastiche history are more interesting than others, but they all make up my history as an American. And for that reason alone, I am proud of every aspect, even the Dunkin’ Donuts down the street. 

No comments:

Post a Comment